CMA Spreadsheet Solutions provides on-site hands-on Microsoft Excel training for businesses in London and Hertfordshire.
Practical training that can immediately be put to use with dramatic increases in productivity. Contact us for full details of our four half-day courses or visit our Excel Training page
We also create Excel-based systems for business users covering a wide variety of applications - stock control, project management, financial analysis, management reporting, campaign planning, sales forecasting and many others. If you've got numerical data that you think could be handled more effectively and more efficiently, talk to us
New! We're now offering an Excel support service via phone and email. Contact us for more details.
If you work in HR or Learning and Development, download the demo version of our Course Management System. It's a macro-driven Excel workbook which enables you to easily set up, implement and manage your company's training programme.
Five of the most common spreadsheet mistakes:
1. Omitting $ signs from formulas when they need to be included - or putting them in the wrong place. A $ in a formula fixes what comes immediately after it, either the row or the column or both, when the formula is copied.
2. Accidentally putting a space after text. Excel will treat a word followed by a space as different from the word on its own - even though they look the same to the user. Use the Trim function to remove unwanted spaces.
3. Getting a "division by zero" error. You can't divide a value by zero or a blank cell. Use the Iferror function to avoid this.
4. Having numbers stored as text. They might look like numbers but Excel won't treat them as such. For a single value you can click on the warning and choose "Convert to Number". For a range of values you can multiply them all by one (use Paste Special, Multiply).
5. Not putting quotation marks round text when used in formulas (but you don't do this when using range names).